Monday, September 23, 2013

Today was my first day at Hackbright!



A walk through my day:

Arrive at Hackbright and talk nervously/awkwardly with people as they trickle in. The instructors introduce themselves, we learn rules about Hackbright. We play a get-to-know-each-other game. Liz sends all male instructors/staff from the room and we have a "feelings" talk. Lunch (Most people leave to buy food; I stay and draw pictures on my name tag/chat with classmates). A brief play about how to pair program. We pair up and start working through Command Line Crash Course together. My partner is Ingrid and we rock it. We get quizzed by Christian (instructor) and clarify a few things. Ingrid and I do Blockly Maze. We rock it again. High fives after each success. Ingrid and I work on a problem from ProjectEuler.net. We get Nick (instructor) to help us put our solution on Github. End-of-day kindergarten circle. People ask questions and we wrap up the day. A bunch of us walk to BART together.

More about the feelings talk:

This was super helpful. First they said that we ARE supposed to be here, that we CAN do this, and that we should look around at the other people in the room and accept that we are going to cry at least once in front of each of these people. They also said that out of 500 applicants, we were chosen because they know we can do this, we seem like nice people who will help contribute to a positive support network, and because they were slightly terrified of us. Liz and Cynthia (the female instructors) tell us that there are things that women tend to have in common that can often get in the way of our success, and that this is why they have a program that is for women only. They added that we should definitely come talk to them when we are upset/overwhelmed/freaking out because they are like our "special mommies" that will hold our hand and help us through everything.

How I'm feeling now:

I'm exhausted. So much nervous energy, so much small talk with strangers, so many new rules to learn, so many faces and names to memorize, and so much concentration. I feel like I could sleep for 20 years. But I am so excited for tomorrow and I genuinely feel like I have friends at Hackbright. Everyone is fun and nice and interesting and smart and nonjudgemental. Plus, many of them are fans of HP, MLP, Star Wars, robots, math, and other fun things that I love.

The most important thing about today:

They told me I am supposed to be here......and I believe them.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! and exhausting.
    what's this mean "A brief play about how to pair program."
    Did you have lunch? [ ;) ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two instructors did a demo on how to pair program, ask questions, collaborate, and let your partner know if they are going too fast. Lunch is 1-2pm every day. I am trying to snack in the morning so that I can make it to lunch.

    ReplyDelete