Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Superheroes

Yesterday was a roller coaster, and I feel like I need to give a shout-out to two heroes of mine who were particularly heroic.

The Husband

If anyone was ever uncertain, my husband is one of the most kind-hearted, genuine, caring, passionate, and compassionate people on the planet. He also happens to be very smart and ludicrously funny, but now I'm just bragging. In any case, one of my classmates needed help with a big data problem and was struggling to find someone who a) understood the problem, and b) could explain it to her. I told her to email John and see if he could help. John looked into the article she was trying to understand, studied it, got interested in it, discussed it with a coworker, and then explained it to her over skype. He is so passionate about learning, and he is passionate about helping other people learn too.



John St. John
Husband of the Year


The Teacher

Furthermore, head instructor Liz at Hackbright makes miracles happen every day. I had broken my code and started over three times without success. I had gotten help from a couple of different sources and had googled the crap out of my problem but I felt like I was missing something and I was almost literally pulling my hair out. I told Liz I was having a Lizmergency and needed her help. It turns out there was a javascript function I didn't know about, and just knowing it existed changed the course of my day. After helping to point me in the right direction, she told me that my code is really well-organized and that that is what is going to get me a job. She said she was "pretty effing impressed" with how well I organized my code. Liz sure has a way of turning discouraged-insecure-lonely-me into empowered-understanding-excited-me. She is superhuman.



Liz Howard
Instructor / Badass



No comments:

Post a Comment