Saturday, November 9, 2013

First Week of Projects

On Monday we officially started our projects. That means that the schedule is much more flexible. At 10am we do tech talks, and then we do a daily scrum. Then we spend the day working on our projects, meeting with mentors, and scheduling office office hours with instructors as necessary. We really have to manage our own time, which I am happy to do because I really like working at my own pace.

Daily Scrums

Every morning the members of my house, Ravenclaw, meet to briefly list our progress, our goal for the day, and any blockers we might have that could get in the way of further progress. The "scrum master" from each house then reports all that info to the instructors so that they know who needs immediate help and they have a sense of how each person's project is coming along.

My Progress

If you are interested in seeing what I've accomplished every day, I having been pushing my code to Github regularly (think Google Docs but for code), and if you look at my project folder, you can look at my code or just scroll down and see my readme that shows the most updated description of what I have accomplished and what my next steps are. 

If you do want to look at some awesome code I wrote, click on the static folder, and then the js (short for Javascript) folder, and then the canvas.js file. I am super proud of the work I've put into that file, which is the heart of making my game show up and do stuff in the browser. It's still got a long way to go, but I had a major breakthrough last night when my mentor Tim, from Zillow, helped me understand a bug in my code that had been making my life hell for a couple of days. It was a hugely victorious moment. There was a lot of shouting and jumping involved.

I mostly want to take the weekends off from my project because I need the break, but I coded a little today because I was super excited to work on the next part of my goal for Monday, now that I finally got past this hurdle. 

The next three weeks will mostly be devoted to our projects, followed by one week of polishing, and then it will be career day. That's when representatives from about 35 Bay Area tech companies come to do a speed-dating-style interview process and we demo our projects. 


As many of you know, my best friend Lindsey just moved down to the Bay Area to go to Hack Reactor, which starts on Monday. Last week I took her with me to Hackbright, where she coded, blogged, and helped me with my project because she is amazing. We also went to a Girl Geek Dinner at Cisco Thursday night, which was a lot of fun. They had a photo booth with fun props, so Lindsey and I took advantage of that:


Lindsey's program is super intense, and it runs six days a week. So I am very happy that we will be able to ride the BART together in the mornings. 

Looking forward to continuing my project, and I am hoping to blog every week for the remainder of Hackbright. I will try to post pictures of my progress soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment